Saturday, February 21, 2009

Post #1
Hopefully, I will be able to keep this up. I have a resolution to get as much of my research out there for everyone this year.
The best way for me to begin to organize this massive Monster in a Box (to steal a line from the late Spaulding Gray) is to establish an over all structure to what I am going to write about. Here's my first attempt. I don't guarantee that I will stick to it, but for now...
Ok.
It's original... It's innovative... ok it's the tried and true questions of Who (family or surname) What (an event like military service or land speculation or marriage) When (a closer look at a particular era) and Why (social or political forces that affected the family)

I will try to put a WHO on every post so my reasons for the research make a bit more sense.

Who: The Boyd Family. I am related by my maternal grandmother, Ottie Simmons, whose mother was a Boyd. I have good records for the few generations that lived in the Jasper County area. What I'm mostly focusing on is the first Boyd in our line to settle in Jasper County, Freeman W Boyd. Freeman and family moved to Jasper County MS from Macon County AL around 1852 according to the birth place records of the Boyd family children. Freeman received a Land Grant from the federal government in 1854 (T3R11S19) in Jasper County MS and was a farmer. You can see his gravestone along with that of his wife, Emiley, at the Palestine Baptist Cemetery in Montrose, MS.
Accounts of records from early Jasper history show Freeman paying taxes in 1854. Also in 1854 was a William Boyd listed on the tax roles. This is particularly interesting to me because Freeman is the end of the line for me in terms of researching the Boyds back any further. I could guess that this William might have been a relative since Freeman had a child named William, but I can't say if he was a brother, father or cousin. I did get a family story that told the Boyds were on their way to Texas when a flood stopped their journey. Some of the family chose to stay while the others chose to travel onward to the west. Could this William be a family member that traveled on? I don't have an indication as of yet that William stayed in Jasper County. He is not listed on any census records from this time forward, but this doesn't mean that he wasn't nearby. Boyd is a very common name (Scottish by origin) and so is William. There are scads of William Boyds out there probably born in Georgia around the early 19th C and until I can nail down a bit more concrete information on this guy, this is a trail left for another time.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home