Friday, June 19, 2009

Who:  Freeman Boyd 

Again on my never ending search to crack or at least make a chip in this little bit of a brick wall.  As mentioned earlier, I have a bit of an attention problem.  Distractable would be a mild way of putting it, so I have lots of loose ends all over the place.  One way I try to pull myself back around is to do a day of  organizing: aka cleaning my junkie project room.  Mostly what's lying around lately is gen stuff, so lots of papers and the sort.  Not to get too deep into my filing system, I will say that I notebooks assigned to each family name I research.  Now that I have the Smith family to add, I had to find another binder.  In doing so, a large stack of papers fell on the floor.  This forced me to go through each page to sort properly because I just bought a stapler last week and the whole stack was loose.  

This was the end to my organizing.  Going through each page  full of names and info from censes (is that the right plural?) and ancestry.com copies was like having the internet lying at my feet.  I couldn't pull my self from this one handwritten page of unsourced and poorly sourced notes (I tell myself  never slough the sources everytime I run across pages like this). Close to the top underneath a theory on the meaning of a strange aunt name was:

John Boyd- Green Co GA -1790 Reconstructed GA Census.  

So I went on Ancestry.com and found this, but not from doing the search.  I had to limit my search terms to find the specific reference.  It is a scanned book that goes through all the GA counties in 1790 and lists the names of people mentioned in Land deeds and Wills.  This includes not just the primary names, but anyone who may have given witness or used as some sort of reference to the legal proceeding.

John Boyd was listed under people who were witnesses or were owners of adjoining lands of property mentioned in the Deed Book 1 of Green County Georgia.

How is this relevant?  Green county GA is the place of record of the marriages of Reddick Smith, Freeman Boyd's father in law,  in 1811 and 1816.  Freeman was born in 1814 in GA so possibly, the Smith family knew the Boyds from their time in Greene Co.  

Over the years, parts of Greene county was broken into other surrounding counties, and frequently records are scattered among the different places.  Next step, I guess.

2 Comments:

At 8:02 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

freeman w.boyd father\ emily wife
freeman r.boyd son \wife rosetta grayson
george walter boyd grandson\wife eran waldrup freeman rosetta george walter eran and my mom jo hutchinson are all buried at louin cemt.

 
At 1:17 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am related to Reddick Smith from Montrose, MS also. I just started on this line and would love to hear more about your research on them. you can email me at dannymchale @ hotmail dot com

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home